Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 7 client disconnecting from windows 2008 R2 terminal server

Hi,

We have a windows 7 client that connects to our windows 2008 R2 with a few remote applications. She mostly uses office 2010 and accpac.

Her issue is that she will receive a disconnected error and remote desktop client is trying to reconnect. It happens fairly often. She has been in the office for an hour and it has happened already. She also loses her redirected drives and cannot open local files on the terminal server unless she closes all her programs and restarts the session. The program will still open if she just starts the program. She will receive and error saying the program does not exist on the server when she tries to open the local file.

I have tried going into the local group policies on the server and changed the keep-alive interval to 1 minute. Automatic reconnection is enabled. I have set the time out for disconnected sessions to one minute as sometimes our CRM software will crash and the user disconnects the session.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? It seems to be only happening to this user. She is the only user that is on windows 7 at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by bmorency; 2nd November 2010, 13:14. Reason: changed title

Re: windows 7 client disconnecting from windows 2008 R2 terminal server

How is she connected to your LAN?

I ask this as i recently had problems with win7 clients dropping connection once every minute and after a quick look around the switch cabinet found a loop-back which once removed resolved the issue.

The other thing to try would be to check for the most recent version of the network drivers.

What spec is the machine she's on?

Comment

She is connected to a switch with 7 other users and the switch is connected to a core switch . I can double check for loops and try more recent drivers if there are any.

The specs of her computer are core 2 duo 3.0Ghz with 4 gigs of ram 250gig HD. It's an HP compaq pro 6000

Comment

The easiest way of checking for a loop-back is to run a constant ping from her terminal and see if you get regular drops. What is the exact model of the 6000 as the ones i looked at on the hp website do not list the win 7 drivers so im assuming this was a upgrade machine.. if so what make/model is the network card?

In my case i found that the ping would only drop one attempt every minute during quiet periods and then twice in busy periods.

If you don't want to hog her machine then download Link monitor and get that running in the background on her machine then check it for the dropouts at the end of the day.

Comment

Here is the link for her system from the HP website. The network card is an Intel 82567LM-3.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/vn/en...6-4024462.html

I have been pinging from her system for 5 minutes and I did not see any drops. The response times have all been less than 1ms. I have updated the drivers to the latest version and we can see how it goes.

Thanks for the help

Comment

where did you download the drivers from? HP or INTEL? interestingly enough there are new drivers dated today on the Intel site...
            http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...Controller+%22
            Last edited by Johnny K; 1st November 2010, 16:33. Reason: added link

Comment

i forgot to ask is there anything in the event log on her machine? ip-conflicts ect...

Comment

I didn't see anything that would be related to this issue. I installed the latest driver from the HP website. I will see how the latest driver from HP works out for today. If there still is an issue I will try the latest Intel driver.
                Last edited by bmorency; 1st November 2010, 17:37.

Comment

Any joy? If the problem persists it might be worth having a look around the AV solution you have on the computer to see if thats blocking/monitoring any of the ports RDC uses.

Comment

When I came in this morning and asked how her connection was for the rest of the day yesterday and she said she did not notice the disconnection error since the first time it happened to her first thing in the morning. So it seems the updated driver has helped her issue. I will keep an eye on it though.

Thank you for all your help.

Comment

Chec on Windows Server NIC Properties. If TCP offloand engine are enabled. Disable those. It should be fine.
                      AB

Comment

I sincerely hope this one has been put to bed for you i know how irritating it can be when something like this happens.

Comment

Working...
                        X