No announcement yet.

Error demoting DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error demoting DC

Hello folks,
    I encountered an annoying error in my lab so I thought it would be nice to share.
    In the lab I had a 2008 x64 server and another win2008R2 server. The 2008 was the first DC in the domain/forest and the R2 was added later. End goal: get rid of the 2008 and leave the R2. Both running DNS.

First of all - transfer FSMO roles. Countless articles had been written about doing this, so let's just say I used ADUC for RID, PDC and infrastructure and ntdsutil for the other two.

Happy, I went to the 2008x64 and ran DCPROMO. All was OK until the process started. Two very stressing error messages in one window:
    "The operations master roles held by this directory server could not transfer to the following remote directory server. "
    "The directory service was unable to transfer ownership of one or more floating single-master operation roles to other servers. "

After 20 times checking and rechecking the FSMO roles holder, restarts, DNS manipulations on the network adapter, the solution was:
    Remove the GC role from the server before demoting it. As a precaution, I restarted the 2008x64 after removing the GC role and the ran DCPROMO. worked like a charm...

Have fun ya all!

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.