Child domain removal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child domain removal?

Hi guys need help. We have a child domain (Windows server 2008 Sp1) here in asia that needs to be removed from its domain tree (Parent domain is in U.s). This will be my first time to like unjoin a child domain. Could you guys guide me or give me the steps in doing it. From Asia side and from U.S side. I actually need to do this because guys in u.s wants us here in asia to upgrade to R2 since we are still in SP1. But if there is a way to upgrade from SP1 to R2 that would be better and less hassle.
    Thanks Guys..
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: Child domain removal?

Are you wanting to delete the child domain (if so, just unpromo all DCs in it) or separate it from the parent domain (which is more complex!)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes..Because I will rebuild the server because i need to upgrade to server from SP1 to R2. So how should I do it?
      Ronuel
      MCP

Comment

Originally posted by NonoRonuel View Post
        Yes..Because I will rebuild the server because i need to upgrade to server from SP1 to R2. So how should I do it?
        Year answer is unclear: do you need to keep this server as a DC in a new, autonomous domain? If not, and you just need to reinstall it as member server - Ossian gave you the answer. Demoting this DC and checking the mark on "alst DC in the domain" will delete the domain and not affect the parent. Take a look.
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...56(WS.10).aspx
        Credit to Meinolf, found it using his old post.
        Regards,
        Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Originally posted by NonoRonuel View Post
          Hi guys need help. We have a child domain (Windows server 2008 Sp1) here in asia that needs to be removed from its domain tree (Parent domain is in U.s). This will be my first time to like unjoin a child domain. Could you guys guide me or give me the steps in doing it. From Asia side and from U.S side. I actually need to do this because guys in u.s wants us here in asia to upgrade to R2 since we are still in SP1. But if there is a way to upgrade from SP1 to R2 that would be better and less hassle.
          Thanks Guys..

Just to reiterate you need need to upgrade child domain dc to W2k8 R2 from SP1. Correct ??

**if you only have one dc in childdomain and if you going to remove the domain, upgrade and recreate the child domain it's gonna be quite scary**

Rest assured You can do it. Here are my inputs if above statement is true.
          In case if hardware is same then probably use vm or if there is additional hardware even better.
          1. Bring up a member server Win 2k8 R2.
          2. Promote it as ADC of Child
          3. Move the fsmo and other know services to new ADC
          4. Demote it gracefully
          5. Clear Meta data after wards
          6. you are done
          Thanks & Regards
          v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
          Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
          Independent IT Consultant and Architect
          Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

I dont know if Im really clear my apologies. Let me try Again.

The Parent domain is company.com, in the tree we have uk.company.com , in.company.com , as.company.com, af.company.com. The senior Admin wants all server 2008 to be R2. The as.company.com is the only one that is not WS2008 R2 so Im planning to rebuild it and remove it from the tree. It has AD and DNS roles. So what are the things i should do?
            1. dcpromo?
            2. after dcpromo remove ADDS and DNS?
            3. Will there be any effect in the parent domain?

I just want to remove as.company.com from the domain tree. and add it up later when I rebuilt it to R2.

Thanks for Helping Guys
            Ronuel
            MCP

Comment

All you need to do is migrate all DCs to 2008R2 and raise the domain functional level -- why go to the trouble of removing and rebuilding the domain, then recreating all users etc

Note you cannot just add an existing domain to a tree -- you need to create it as part of the tree
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X