No announcement yet.

Server - network problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server - network problems

Hi all, I hope someone can help as this has been going on for a number of weeks and though my users have been very patient, it's running out.

I have a new Proliant ML350 G6 server running 32bit Server 2008 and clients running XP. Alongside this is the same server but a G5 running Server 20008 with Exchange 2007. Its a single domain environment with only about 40 clients. The clients are having sporadic problems with losing access to networked drives, network drives disappearing, slow on opening files on the networked drives etc etc. As the desktops and start menus are redirected also, this network drop out is hanging the entire PC.

Event viewer on the server when the network dropouts occur (on random PCs) show:

Log Name: System
    Source: srv
    Date: 19/10/2010 15:49:09
    Event ID: 2012
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns=""
    <Provider Name="srv" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">2012</EventID>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-19T14:49:09.049Z" />
    <Security />
    <Binary>0000040001002C0000000000DC0700800000000084 0100C00000000000000000000000000000000087050000</Binary>

I have had our switches checked - no problems. I've had the cables changed. I've changed network cards as found one that was faulty. I have virus scanned (using TWO AVs every single Pc in the building and both servers - nothing). Network packet capturing gives a lot of checksum errors but none that seem to show consistently. I've updated all drivers from the HP site inc network card drivers.

The network is VLanned and both networks are using a dual-port network card, Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet. I have seen people having issues with the Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet II but not this one.

Every time I leave site thinking I've resolved the problem I get called back in a few days later and understandably am frustrated.

I would be so grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance

Re: Server - network problems

First things First, It looks like a school, so I do not know if you can do this, but create a batch file with ipconfig /release /renew. That way when they loss connection, you can just get them to run that. If they can instantly resolve the problem themselfs, it might buy you some more goodwill time to resolve the problem.

2nd, By random PC's you mean Random user work stations?As this error seems to have come from a DC, which I am assuming means your Domain controller. I just point this out, as any network problem on the DC might show as problems on the work stations (if the DC drops a station, that station might just report a network problem).

When the Computers are dropped, what does there network status say? Cable unplugged, Unknown, Disconnected?
    Are you completely losing network, or just access to the services. Try to setup a telnet to one of the effected work stations.

Can you give us a quick description of the network in the building, inculding any routers/switchs and please mention any devices that your whole network goes though.

The error you are examing happens on the effected work stations, are there any errors on the servers?
    Can you pin-point where the Checksums are getting into the network (start at one end of your network and keep moving it towards the server till you find the cause).

Other then that, the same piece of advice I give with intermitend problems,
    1) Find a User Solution
    2) Record any time the problems happens, records what time, where, whos computer, and anything else you can think of.
    3) Track and trend your data to see if you cna find a pattern.
    4) Cry.
    5) repeat.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
    IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".