Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritied Permissions not Propogating

Good Morning!

I have a Windows Server 2008 File Share with a folder for each department. I have enabled access based enumeration and provisioned rights with Security Groups based on Department membership.

Rights have been applied to "This folder, sub folders, and files," in most cases. People have started moving files and folders to the share and asking for individuals outside of the Security Groups to be granted access. I'm doing so as a Domain Admin with full rights to everything, but I am getting pinged with Access Denied messages and the rights are not flowing down because of this denial.

Is there a way to take ownership from the top down and assign rights without having to hit each individual folder and file??

Thanks!

Deb
    UMW

Re: Inheritied Permissions not Propogating

it happened with me ,

sound crazy but it solved
    first go and take owner for all files
    then made your permission on folders after that create a new filder inside main folder cut all inside but it insuide that folder
    the copy it an and paste it again will take permission as from biggest folder then delete new folder

regards
    samer Sulaiman

Comment

Is there a way to brute force take ownership of everything at once? They've got hundreds of folders and files!

Comment

When yo take ownership put a tick in the tick box Replace owner on sub-containers and objects

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          When yo take ownership put a tick in the tick box Replace owner on sub-containers and objects

If this does not work, I have had a few cases where you had to completely delete all premissions on the files, and recreate them.

Also, remember, any deny will always override a allow (I dont believe thats the deny your talking about).

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Do you have ownership of the objects -- if not, it can cause problems with propagating permissions.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X