Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Server yes or no

Hi all

Started a new role and getting to grips with everything and i have come across something I havent seen before

We have a server that is a 2008 r2 DC/DNS/DHCP and now I am told a print server, I checked the roles on Server manager and the print and document services role isnt showing and can be installed as a role.

However all the companys printers are on this server within devices and printers and when I go to add a printer on a client I can do \\servername\ and get the list of printers.

My question is I am surprised that the server is in fact a print server without the role installed......anyone know how why ???

ta

The print server role adds management tools and (IIRC) things like scanning and lpr services). There is nothing to stop any machine (server or client) having shared printers (actually print queues) without having the role

I am more surprised that the server is also DC/DNS as this should be a more secure environment and best practice is not to mix it with less secure file and print services
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I know Ossian I get the impression it was a two server company than have grown rapidly and the IT has got left behind, I am looking to split roles and add some more servers and get a more balanced setup. One extra question if I was to install the print role would this wipe out my printers as I was thinking of building a new print server and migrate the printers. I have 350 staff 25 printers across a 3 acre site

Comment

No, it wont wipe out existing printers

[EDIT] Note for migration there is an option to export all the drivers, ports, settings etc
        Last edited by Ossian; 10th May 2017, 18:44.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian

Comment

Working...
          X