Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 Network Issues

Hello,

I have a windows 2008 STD 64 Bit R2 with SQL 2008 STD 64 Bit R2 installed for the last week.

Before it, I had a windows 2003 STD 64 Bit R2

The Hardware is Dell R710
    2 Quad cores
    24 Giga Ram
    Local Disks Raid 10

The problem started after I installed the server with 2008.

The Issues are:

1. PRTG Getting a lot of errors with WMI disconnecting creating holes in its CPU load graph and etc ...

2. RDP Freezes or disconnects.

Any Ideas why this happens ?

Thanks

Re: Windows 2008 R2 Network Issues

Hi,

I've attached an Image showing a small traffic reduction.

It's A Production server. it should not decrease traffic. right ?
    What can be the cause ?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

Any errors on the server logs?

RDP disconnect sounds like you got network connectivity problems. You should see something on system log if connection to, say, DC is broken.

-vP

Comment

Hello,

First thing, Check your WMI and keep a eye on it, there is a memory leak in Windows 2008 WMI (Does not effect all installations, normally effects HP server (HP management software uses the WMI layer alot, and adds extra load) But can effect any server, inculding whitebox)
        MS hotfix KB958124 has helped on some of our servers, but it has not completely resolved the problem.

2nd, have you made sure that its not Network based? Setup a network monitor and see if the drops match up with anything.

How often do the freezes happen, daily, hourly, weekly?
        Do all users get kicked off at the same time, or only some of them?
        Do the gaps in the proformance monitor match up with anything in the event log, do not just look for error and warnings, but ALL events.
        How did you do the upgrade? Was it a Swing, was it a replacment, was in inplace?
        Is the Server patched up to date?
        Last but not lest, please descripe these "drop offs", do they actuly effect your users, or is it just the monitoring and reporting / proformance mon thats losing the info, or is the server actuly freezing (No mouse movement), Hanging (can move mouse and click, but will not process any commands) or Locking up (the server freezes for a second, but afterwards is perfectly normal)?

Sorry about asking for all the info, but I have been working on a similer problem to this for 7 months now, I know how to fix almost everything to do with the WMI, other then fix the memory leak in it

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

Hello,
          Thanks for you time and effort in writing your answer.

How often do the freezes happen, daily, hourly, weekly?
          About every 2 hours

Do all users get kicked off at the same time, or only some of them?
          The website still online, so I guess non of the user kikes off.

Do the gaps in the performance monitor match up with anything in the event log, do not just look for error and warnings, but ALL events.
          The strange thing is that I looked and did not see anything related to it other then maybe: The Software Protection service entered the stopped state. and then entered the start etc ... but this is not consistent with the network drops.

How did you do the upgrade? Was it a Swing, was it a replacment, was in inplace?
          Since the servers in US and i am not, I used iDRAC for it. formating drive c:\ and installing the OS. after that I Formated the other Partitions.

Is the Server patched up to date?
          It was until few days ago. Now I see there are some more to install:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2360131)

Security Update for .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2160841)

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2207566)

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2296011)

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2387149)

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB979687)

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB97968

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB981957)

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB982132)

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2345886)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2010 (KB890830)

Regarding effect on users, we will do some QA checks on that on sunday.
          We also use PRTG for monitoring via WMI

Comment

Hey,

kinda had the same problem;

is your server running in HyperV or Physical?

Did you install the newest drivers for your network adapter?

My problem was solved by simply installing the correct, up to date, drivers for the network adapter instead of using the driver MS default supplied.

Apperantly, even HyperV machines communicating amongst each other use the driver of the physical network adapter that is linked to the virtual adapters.

Comment

Hi,

no hyper-v

this is a physical server running sql 2008.

Comment

Working...
              X