Manually correct time pdc emulator self source for time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually correct time pdc emulator self source for time

can I correct the time for all pcs on domain (off 5 minutes) by manually correcting the time on the pdc emulator D.C.?

Yes. However you are allowed up to 5 mins for time skew.

Why not setup your PDC emulator to get its time from a valid time source?

Comment

I may do that in the summer when students aren't in the system. So if I change the time on the pdc emulator by five minutes or less everyone will still be able to login without rebooting? Or will they have to reboot to adjust? I just don't want the time change to create login issues.

thanks for the information

Comment

AFAIK the time should automatically adjust once you set your PDC to the correct time.

Have a read at this Technet blog which may help you understand time sync

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ive-directory/

Comment

Of course if you area lazy sod like me then you may wish to use a Microsoft tool to do the job.

If you have your DC as a VM, then you need to sync the Host to a Time Server and then point the DC VM to use the time from the Host. Don't know if this issue was fixed in Server 2012 and above but in Server 2008 R2 and below using Hyper-V, the time skew would become massive in a very short time if you pointed your DC VM to an external Time Server. Again the MS tool will make the job Registry editing free. Takes less than a minute to configure. You just need the Time Server IP. Also, make sure you use a Stratum Level 2 Time Server (or a Level 3 one) and NOT the Stratum Level 1 Time Servers.

Comment

You don't need to edit the registry.

Open a command prompt and type these

Using w32tm.exe
            • Run the following command on the PDC emulator:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:timeserver /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

(where timeserver is a –space delimited– list of your time source servers)

Once done, restart W32Time service.
            • Run the following command on all other DCs (that are not PDC):

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update

Once done, restart W32Time service.

Comment

Working...
            X