Size of volume on a file server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of volume on a file server

I will be setting up two (virtual) file servers in a failover cluster . The size of the data disk will be 3TB. Is it best to split up the disk in 2-3 volumes, or should I just go with a single large volume?

I will be using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for backup purposes. Will a single large voulme have any impact on the backup/restore process?
    [MOD EDIT - HIDDEN SPAM LINK REMOVED AND OP BANNED]
    Last edited by Ossian; 2nd January 2017, 14:18.

Too many unknowns here, but my gut feeling is one large volume (3TB isn't very large these days) as this gives most flexibility in use (single drive letter etc). As far as Tivoli goes, I can't comment as I haven't used it, but I would expect it to handle such sizes without issues.

Out of curiosity, did you consider DFS as an option to give HA without clustering?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

FYI, when backing up a file server, it always takes longer than backing up, say, a SQL server database of similar size, because each file is backed up as an individual object, regardless of how large each file is. So if you have 200GBytes of 15,000 individual files vs a 200GByte database being backed up, the database is a single object, where each of the 15,000 files must be read, accessed, copied and released, one at a time. That takes longer. we use Backup Exec (just upgraded to 2016) and that's been the behavior since BUE 10.5.

As for multiple file servers, I agree with Ossian--use DFS if at all possible. We have a failover cluster with a single file server, but also have a second cluster as a replication destination, with a second file server. We use DFS to ensure replication for the file servers only, but you'll also need something like Peerlock to handle identical file access between the 2 file servers.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X