DNS issue with one host

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS issue with one host

We recently moved into a new building with a new network. The old network had IP addresses of 192.168.71.xxx, the new is 192.168.20.xxx. I have one device that I am having an issue with. If I use the host name and the domain name I can reach it, but if I use the host name alone it times out looking for it's old IP address. For example, ping NAS01.mydomain.local will resolve to it's new address of 192.168.20.11, but if I ping NAS01 it times out looking for 192.168.71.11, it's former address. In the DNS server ( windows 2008 R2 ) there is a record for it with the correct current ip address in forward lookup zones. I have verified that the correct dns server and gw address are used on the nas device. What can I do to get it to respond to it's hostname alone.

Check to see if the Computer Browser service is running on the PC in question.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Check that there is no static IP entries in the NIC properties. Not likely on a desktop but I used to have a static IP in the Alternate Configuration in the Internet Protocol Properties tab. Used to forget it quite often.

Comment

Also, on the host from which you are trying to ping the machine run ipconfig /flushdns so that any old/stale cached entries are removed.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Kindly check on which DNS server request is going, might be A record should be there on that DNS

Comment

Working...
          X