Taking Ownership of User folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Ownership of User folders

As my industry is experiencing a downturn, my company is downsizing. I've got about 70 former employee user folders that I no longer need. I don't need to archive their data, but I need to get rid of their folders. Currently, I've gone through about 10 of them and individually changed permissions for me to be able to just do a mass delete on them. I've renamed the folders I don't want as "DEL username" with 'username' being the user's name.

I know I can take ownership with this script:

takeown /f DEL username /r /d y /a
    icacls DEL username /grant GREENES\todd231F) /T /C
    icacls DEL username /grant "GREENES\Domain Admins"F) /T /C

I'm not smart enough, nor do I know enough, to know how to take ownership of ALL folders that have DEL at the start of them.

Is this even possible, or am I stuck just inserting individual usernames and running the script all at once?
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

Forgot to mention that I'm farting around with the script this afternoon. If I find something I'll post back...

Thanks,
    Todd

Comment

So I never found the correct exchange to put in the script to allow this. I also haven't devoted much time to looking for it. It's on my radar, though. I did, however, complete my project with the folders one by one. Out of the 60 or so I had, I ended up only deleting about 40 of them and archiving/keeping the data from the others (moved to other users or other places on a file server).

Now, onto Exchange! Migrating former employees mailboxes to a separate database and then exporting those to PST's to thin out Exchange!

Oh yeah, doing this as a single IT employee for my company amidst the economic downturn, company restructuring and reorganization with limits on OT (meaning I can't work after hours or on weekends doing these large projects).

Scripting, here I come!

edit - First I have to learn more about scripting. I have the basics down, just need to learn more. Learn more. That's my new motto...

Thanks,
      Todd

Comment

Is there a reason why your moving them all to a separate DB?

What version of Exchange? Powershell will do this seemlessly, as would exmerge in Exchange 2003

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Is there a reason why your moving them all to a separate DB?

What version of Exchange? Powershell will do this seemlessly, as would exmerge in Exchange 2003
          To save space. We've got something like over 200 former employees with active mailboxes. Once teh initial DB is at 250GB, I'm going to Export all mailboxes to PST's and then disable/remove the email accounts. Once that is done, I'm going to create new Databases for current employees by Region (VIP, West, East, Central, International) and start moving current users to those DB's. The current scheme is alphabetical by first name (not my doing) and some DB's are getting close to 500GB.

As far as powershell, I'm planning on exporting them to PST with powershell to make like a little easier.

The reason I'm going one by one is due to not being able to do this after hours on the weekends when I could throw it all in powershell and knock out chunks of 20 or so at a time.

Thanks,
          Todd

Comment

Working...
          X