Domain Shared Folder Access Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Shared Folder Access Issue

I've got a user (the top dog at my company) who's computer is displaying a number of odd behaviors on the network, all of which cease when he works from any other domain machine.

Before diving in, I should note that I wasn't the IT administrator for this network until 4 months ago (2 months after the new PDC was brought online after the last one crashed nastily) and I'm told that this machine and his account are always the first to be migrated when the domain is rebuilt or upgraded when the time comes.

Whenever he creates a new folder on a network share, it says the share doesn't exist and asks if he wants to create it, when you click "No" it makes a "New Folder" where you were trying to put the new one, and doesn't allow you to rename it. When trying to save over existing documents, it says "Document can't be saved." (or something to that effect), but by saving them to the desktop, then moving them over, they replace fine.

His permissions on the share are copecetic, as well as his DFS permissions (note: this issues went on before DFS came into play), and his machine's network permissions match everyone else's.

I could really use the help, like I said he's the big boss in the office, and he doesn't tolerate these kind of inconveniences well, but also won't accept bandage solutions and workarounds.

Re: Domain Shared Folder Access Issue

IMHO try
    1) disjoin / rejoin his client (which OS is it) from the domain
    and if needed
    2) format and reinstall his client

From your description the issue is client, not user account, so these will be the simplest things to do
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And maybe he has a corrupted user profile.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Good thought!
        Are profiles roaming or static -- no mention in the original post
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dunno. But corruption in a profile might cause tons of weird unexplainable issues.
          Therefor I would replace the profile anyway.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Back from the long weekend, going to give those steps a try. Was really looking to avoid them, but it seems confirmed as inevitable.

Comment

Its a permissions issue.

I have the same behavour while trying to setup a Can save, Edit, but not delete folder (something that can not be done ) but if you remove the Delete premission, but force them to have modify, then it can create this behaviour.

Also, check the Share and NTFS permissions.

Got something to do with how windows saves over a folder, it Creates the file empty, then trys to fill it, but can not fill it due to the premissions.

Also, If he saves files in there, are there hidden TMP files in the folder?

Wofen
              Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
              X