Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Replication 2008 Initial Error

Never configured replication so please bear with me:

I got 2 Server 2k8 R2 servers configured as File server with an option of DFS replication in place. A group called Replica_tst is also present in the AD with these server names in it. I launch DFS Management Console as Administrator, and try to click to create a MultiPurpose replication grp or Replication group for data collection; When I click on the next screen to create a New Replication Group on the domain, it gives me an error, 'insufficient permissions to create the DFSR-GlobalSettings container'. Attached is the screenshot. My questions are:
    Where it is trying to create a group? Why its trying to create a group when a group already in place and I've tried giving the Replica_tst group name, and it still doesn't go further. How I can redirect to the group I manually created? Please assist.

Basically I'm trying to copy and replicate changes on a file server and sync both servers as any file change happens. I'd like to have replication kicked in sooner some file content changes. Any other solutions available here?

Thanks
    Sam
    Attached Files

Re: DFS Replication 2008 Initial Error

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

3 years membership and 74 posts and you should know how these forums work.
      We are volunteers and give up our spare time to help. Someone will be along sometime, but if you really need urgent assistance, raise an issue with MS PSS -- and pay for it.

Is it a domain or workgroup DFS root, and if a domain, what FL are you at?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Its in the domain DFS root. Don't know what you meant by FL 'Fault Location ?'.

Comment

Domain Functional Level
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So, what my options could be? Where I'm getting stuck? Basically I need to mirror 2 file servers and thats it. I can robocopy files with /MIR command overnight but that will occur only ance overnight. What 'd like to see is: replicating files within 30 min. of file changes.
            Thanks

Comment

Try uninstalling all the DFS roles and starting again, from scratch
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Are you trying to create the replication object as a Domain Admin? If so, I would verify that your permissions are set correctly:

1. Go into ADUC, Advanced View.
                2. In the navigation pane, expand system.
                3. Right-click DFSR-GlobalSettings and select the Security tab.
                4. Click the Advanced button.
                5. Select Domain Admins, and then Edit button.
                6. Verify that there is a check mark in both Create All Child Objects and the Create msDFSR-ReplicationGroupObject.

Comment

Thank you Scott. I'll ask my Domain Admin folks if they can check on this.

Comment

As far as a follow-up where you're getting stuck. A domain based DFS root stores it's configuration information in Active Directory in the DFSR-GlobalSettings container.

The error you're getting is basically saying that the account you're using to create the DFS replication group does not have permission to write it's configuration information to the DFSR-GlobalSettings container.

Comment

Working...
                    X