No More 32 Bit??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More 32 Bit??

I heard that Microsoft isn't releasing any more 32 bit server OS's sometime soon. Can anyone confirm that and if so, from when???

Thanks for any info.

Re: No More 32 Bit??

Server 2008 R2 is 64 bit only, as is Exchange 2010
    Client OSes seem to be staying at 32 and 64 bit
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It will happen at one point though.

Same thing happened with the cut from 16-bit to 32-bit.

Comment

Yea it seems to be the phase out of 32bit since 64 is 'more powerful'

Maybe 320Bit will be the next.
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

ahhh i remember hearing about ultrasparcs (64bit risc) way back in the mid 90s.
          Of course, i also remember the sun Optical mice, which existed WAYYY before they were introduced for PCs

(thye also had special pads)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by siringo View Post
            I heard that Microsoft isn't releasing any more 32 bit server OS's sometime soon. Can anyone confirm that and if so, from when???

Thanks for any info.

My question is this... why does anyone think this is a bad thing, and why did they not do it sooner (back in 2008 like they said they would).

I Personally believe we should drop 32 bit OS as well. There should not be a 32 bit computer with windows 7 installed on it. If there is, there would of been a better 64bit option, but they chose the oldest cheapest set of parts.

Its really hard to go and buy a 32bit machine, as it should be.

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

yea, but it's going to take a long time for some apps to become x64, or drivers. and some things just won't, ever.

but then, there's stilll legacy 8 and 16 bit stuff running, stuck in dark corners of factories and offices...
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X