Administrator Account & Security in Server 2008 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator Account & Security in Server 2008 R2

I am running Server 2008 R2 in a home/test environment to learn.

I heard that disabling the Administrator account in Server 2008 R2 and creating a different one makes the computer a bit more secure. My understanding is that it really requires disabling and creating a new account vs. just simply renaming the account because that way it will create a SID that doesn't end in 500 (or something like that - I hope I have that right).

My question is, when people suggest that, are they talking about the local computer Administrator Account or the Domain Administrator account?

If so, does that need to be done before running DCPromo? and/or how is it done?

Sorry if this is a bad question, I am just starting my MCITP path and have a lot to learn, but I am eager to learn "good practices".

The person I heard this from is A+, Network+, Security+, MCITP, MCT, and CEH (so I trust the source, I am just not sure of how it's done or the specifics...)

Thanks!

Re: Administrator Account & Security in Server 2008 R2

You can rename both, but it doesnt (AFAIK) change the SID
    Also rename the guest accounts!

for details.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

iirc, the change is physically made through group policy (either domain GPO, or a local secpol)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Here's an article about this:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...r-Account.html

Seems that the best way to protect it is to use a complex pass-phrase.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

You can also lock the admin account down with options like, Only allow Local Log on, or only allow remote log on, and then you can go one more step and make it only log on remotely from a set IP/MAC, say your laptop.

Also, as someone said, a 255 chartcer password is great, and will stop 99.999% of attacks (it takes 10 times the life of the universe to brute force that password on a processor working at the speed of light (0lat)).

Also, rename the admin account to something else, then rename a account with no access to ANYTHING as admin, and make sure you remember this.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Ok, I'll ask the instructor who told me this *exactly* what he meant so I can clarify. I'll see him Monday. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X