2008 R2 inconsistent connectivity to NAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 R2 inconsistent connectivity to NAS

Hello. So I am having a weird issue with a server running 2008 R2. I've added a NAS to the network (Synology RS815) and from the server the GUI interface hangs intermittently. If I do a constant ping to the NAS I will get some replies, then timeouts, replies, and so on. It is typically about 50% loss. I can go to any other workstation and ping the NAS with 0 lost packets. GUI also runs quick with no hangs. Transferring a file from server to NAS will cut out and stop. Transferring same file from workstation to NAS will zip right along. Everything is running through the same 48 port switch. I've updated NIC driver on server. I've updated firmware on switch. I can do a constant ping to any workstation from the server and I also have 0 lost packets. The NAS has 2 interface ports and I've tried them both. I've had the NAS on DHCP as well as tried a few different static addresses. I have also taken a WD MyCloud NAS and hooked it up which gives me the same results. Tried different network cables and ports on the switch.

Quick overview:
    Server to either NAS: intermittent communication issues, many lost packets.
    Server to workstation (30 workstations total): no communication issues, no lost packets.
    Workstations to NAS: no communication issues, no lost packets.

If you have tried all the cabling, look at the NiC settings on the server (speed / duplex / MTU / Jumbo frames....) and check the NiC drivers are up to date
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

NIC drivers have been updated after issue was detected. All settings were default after the update and issue was there. Went in and turned off power management on the NIC, jumbo frames is disabled. Flow control and offloading have been disabled. Same issue. Don't see any option for MTU. Speed/duplex are auto and currently reading 1Gbps Full Duplex.

Comment

Has it ever connected OK (if so, what changed?)
        Have you checked the NAS manufacturer support site for anything helpful?
        Have you compared network settings between workstation and server to ensure they match?
        Do you have another server to test with?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It connects. It is just not a stable connection. There has never been a NAS at the location so this device was recently introduced and has had the issue since the beginning. Works fine from anything else I test it from. Server works fine with any other devices. Just not the 2 NAS's I've tried. NAS firmware has been updated as well. Network settings all match up. I do not have another server with identical setup.

Comment

OK, I'm running out of ideas here, but perhaps someone else will have some input

Have you checked with the NAS manufacturer for any known issues?
            Have you tried doing a direct connection (crossover cable) to the NAS to absolutely rule out the switch / cabling?

Also, is the NAS static IP or dynamic?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I've no experience with these but can see that the RS815 has connections for 2 NIC's. Have you tried disabling one or the other and tested? Do you also use teaming? Just wondering if the server is using a particular route to communicate with the NAS that differs from the workstations - any configuration on the switch that may be causing this?

We need an icon/smiley showing a fistful of straw....
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I did call Synology and they did not have any record of issues.
                I've not tried bypassing the switch yet. I will try that tonight.
                The unit is currently using a static IP.
                I have tried both network interface ports on the NAS. Both dynamic and static on both ports had the same results.
                Teaming is not being used.
                The switch is a Netgear Prosafe smartswitch which does have a GUI interface. I went in there and checked all areas. I even reset to defaults and had the same results so then I updated the firmware and still had the same results.

Comment

Have you checked the DNS management console and ensured the A and PTR records are correct and that you do not have duplicate names using the same IP etc?

Comment

Blood, I did check that stuff when I first encountered the issue.

I believe I have it narrowed down though . Temporarily I did get it working with the crossover cable so right now I just have a crossover from the 2nd NIC in the server to the 2nd NIC in the NAS.
                    I believe the issue though is with MTU/Frame Size. For instance with DSL if you don't have the MTU set correctly it will do this exact same thing.
                    In the switch I noticed you can set frame size for each port individually and then in the NAS there is an option to enable jumbo frames and set MTU.
                    I did not have time last night to do any more testing with this. I will do that over the weekend so if anyone has any input on this it would be great.

Comment

Here's some MTU troubleshooting info for 2012 - but it seems that 2008 can also be affected:
                      https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...erver-2012-r2/

Comment

Working...
                      X