No announcement yet.

Windows 2008 R2 - SafeBoot mode, cannot login - No logon servers available

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 - SafeBoot mode, cannot login - No logon servers available

Hello, I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 system (service pack 1) which is giving me a heck of a time. After setting the system into safe boot (minimal services), I cannot login. There was only one account: Administrator The password does not work the same way as it did on the normal mode. It will show "Bad username or password". It also will show: There are currently no logon servers are available to service the logon request I want to be able to get my normal bootup restored and regain access to the server logon. I have tried pressing F8 (actually space bar) and when I select boot normally it still goes into Safe Boot mode. I have tried a rescue disk (Lazesoft Recovery) to get to a cmd prompt, but cannot run msconfig as it tells me that msconfig must be run in administrator mode and it is not registered as a service. Thanks Mike

You will need to supply the administrator password used when the server was created - I hope you have a record of it!

As to why it is starting in safe mode - you will need to get in to it to check logs etc
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

If the password is not being recognised and you are sure you are entering it correctly, I would check the keyboard layout. I've seen a similar thing (possibly here on Petri), where a UK keyboard was set to a US layout, transposing @ and " keys, etc (or vice versa).
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Seen the same thing as Blood talks about: the UK keyboard layout is only applied after Windows starts up normally. Before that, it only recognizes a US-layout, regardless what your keyboard physically has painted on the keys.
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **