No announcement yet.

File System question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File System question

I am installing my 2003 server with a new windows 2008 R2.
    I will format the C:\ drive and install the new OS on it (windows 2003 used to be there also), but i will leave the old D:\ partition.

The thing is that the D:\ partition is full with SQL DBs, so i would like not to format it.

My questions are:

1. does the old (windows 2003) NTFS file system is different from the new windows 2008 new file system ?

2. Will it be OK to leave the D:\ with the old windows 2003 NTFS, or should I format D:\ with the new windows installation ?

Re: File System question

NTFS did go up a version from W2K3 to WS08. I think the major functionality difference was the introduction of "self-healing" NTFS.

If you don't care about the new functionality, you should be safe to leave it.

Re: File System question

I've been in the same position as yourself with a number of servers which I upgraded from Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2 whereby it was not very convenient to format all partitions during the upgrade.

So far I've been running MSSQL instances, IIS root directories, high-load file servers, and quite a long list of other services on Server 2008 R2 servers where only C:\ was formatted during install and the remaining partitions were formatted when the server was still on Server 2003.

No problems thus far.

As ScottMcD mentioned, you should be safe to leave it (: