Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Backup failing

Hi

I have a batch file that runs at 6am every morning on a 2008 standard 32bit server. It has been running for years without any issues. It invokes Windows Backup and creates a backup of the System State on the D: drive.

Today the backup failed. When I open a command prompt and run the .cmd file manually, the following is displayed:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D:\SystemStateBackup>ss-backup

D:\SystemStateBackup>wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget: -quiet
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Starting System State Backup [22/04/2016 10:04]
    Retrieving volume information...

This would backup the system state from volume(s) OS(C,DATAPART1(D to D:.

ERROR - The location for backup is a critical volume.

D:\SystemStateBackup>
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never seen this before. I have read Microsoft's article about this, but Shadow Copy is disabled (it has never been enabled), and there is plenty of space for the System State backup (more than the 2x required as defined in the article).

Before I apply the registry changes, I would to ask if anyone has seen this and know what can suddenly cause this change. The only change to the machine was that I installed printer monitoring software yesterday and I am seeing Group Policy Environment Settings failure. I've just run SFC and it reported that everything is fine.

Any thoughts, please?

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Sorry, never seen this before. But if you do find something, let us know, it's interesting to know.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I'm flummoxed. I don't understand how a drive can change status to a 'critical' volume without manual intervention. The registry change has worked, though, and System State backups are again being saved to the D drive. I'll post on Microsoft's forums and see if anyone can help.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
      X