Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Administrative Tools in Start Menu

Hi, folks

I have an issue with both my Win2008 servers. One is Standard Edition 32bit and the other is Storage Server 64bit. Neither will hold the setting to show Administrative Tools on the Start Menu.

I can configure the Start Menu to show Administrative Tools using the right-click options from the Task Bar. Administrative tools will then be visible. However, the next time I log on to the server a couple of hours later or the next day the link is gone.

This does not occur on any Win7 clients.

I would prefer to be able to configure this via Group Policy - can anyone help me with the please? I've searched for a solution but can not find anything specifically related to Administrative Tools and Group Policy. I can drag the folder link to the top of the Start Menu so that it is pinned, but this does not help if I log on using a different account.

Is there a way to permanently show Administrative Tools through configuring Group Policy?

Thanks.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Show Administrative Tools in Start Menu

Probably a dumb question, but you do have the Remote Server Administration Tools Feature selected in Server Manager right?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMcD View Post
      Probably a dumb question, but you do have the Remote Server Administration Tools Feature selected in Server Manager right?
      Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is installed.

Comment

When you just log on to the box and the Admin Tools are not displaying as they should, what is the value of following registry entries?

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Advanced
        DWORD: Start_AdminToolsRoot

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Advanced
        DWORD: StartMenuAdminTools

This forum post suggests that setting the above registry entries to 0 will remove the Admin Tools from the Start Menu.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-01641627971f

On my WS08 servers those entries are set to 2.

I couldn't find an existing policy setting, but I bet you could setup a GPO preference to update these registry entries to a value of 2 and that would do it.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I, too, had looked high and low for a Group Policy setting without success and was hoping to avoid having to manually edit the registry to accomplish this

I checked the registry settings and both were set at 0. I changed them to 1 binary, rebooted and the Admin Tools are now visible on the Start Menu.

I will employ your suggestion and use a GP Registry Preference to update those entries in case I need to install another 2008 server in our domain.

Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Looks like I spoke too soon.

I have just logged back onto the server (I did not log out from the previous session, I've just unlocked it), and the Admin Tools folder has been removed from the Start Menu. I also checked the registry entries and they are set back at 0.

Any ideas, anyone, please?

Comment

Working...
            X