Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Updates Fail to Install - Error Code 80243004

Hi all,

One of a Windows Server 2008 R2 Servers (x64 with 8GB RAM, and approx 3.5GB free space on the C Drive), fails to install the following Windows Updates:

KB3126587, KB3126593 and KB3140410).

The error code is shown in the attached screenshot.

Have run the system file checker, and have the following output:

C:\install>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I tried to install each of the updates manually, and they all fail.

Have not yet rebooted the server, as I wanted to see if anyone has come across this problem before and if a reboot is a last resort.

Thanks in advance.

- Mak

Never seen this code before. If any other updates have successfully installed, reboot the server first. Once that's done, strange as this may sound, make sure the Windows Update icon is visible in the system tray before trying to install any updates. If the icon isn't visible, use the simple instructions at this link to make it visible:

http://www.technipages.com/windows-code-80243004-fix

Every link I can find thru searching points to this as the issue: some updates fail install because the tray icon isn't visible. MS acknowledge it, can't explain it, but do post their resolution which tells you what I did, above (see this):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ror-0x80243004

Good luck.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks RicklesP, rebooted the server, got the same, error. When I tried to install one update (KB31265879 I get the error code: 80070490 which on the Microsoft website states that if the System Update Readiness Tool does not correct the problem, then a Windows Repair will be needed

Will have to decide which course of action to take as this is a Production Server and any repairs would need to be done out of business hours.

Thanks again.

- Mak

Comment

I had this same issue on a W7 client about a month ago. The icon was not being displayed. Followed the instructions and everything worked fine afterwards.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi Blood, thanks for the response, but I tried the icon suggestion but I still get the error. As I am now looking through the various log files to see if there is anything in there that could point me to another error code. I did a google search and someone suggested to try a windows repair, but this is not an option at the moment as the server is a production server and any type of Windows repair or reboot would need to be done out of business hours. I hope to find a solution soon.

Comment

Have you tried resetting Windows Update?
            https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Comment

Hi Blood, yes I tried resetting Windows Update following the link you posted, but unfortunately, still have the same issue, the three Updates fail to install.

Comment

Under Windows Updates you can see that updates are available, but the Windows Update icon is still not visible in the Notification Area - is that right? If so, perhaps you're best bet may be to post on Microsoft's forums saying what you have tried - there's probably some WU whizzkid who may be able to help.

Comment

Did you also try a manual installation - downloading the standalone update installation packages (if they are available)?

Comment

Hi Blood,

The Windows Update icon is visible, but when we try to install either one of the Updates, we get the same error. Over the weekend we tried a Windows Repair, which unfortuantely did not work as it threw out some new errors relating to Internet Explorer 11 (9C47 & 9C59). Will check the Microsoft forums and see if someone could point me in the direction of solving this issue. Think last resort will be to create a new Server to replace this one.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

An update regarding this issue. Having exhausted all avenues to resolve the issue (which unfortunately, didn´t work), we have decided that we will have to create a new Server.

Thanks to everyone for their help and input.

- Mak

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Comment

I know you chose to rebuild the server, but did you ever have a look at C:\Windows\Windowsupdate log?

Comment

This particular error that affects Windows Updates on Windows 7 computers. The specific error prevents updates from installing on the Windows 7 PC. However, you can try the below steps to fix this issue:
                            • Open “Control Panel”.
                            • Select the “View by” dropdown in the upper-right corner of the window and select “Large” icons.
                            • Select “Notification Area Icons”.
                            • Check the “Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar”, then click “OK”.
                            After applying these steps, you will be able to fix the error code 80243004 in Windows 7.
                            Last edited by tmd; 2nd December 2016, 12:44.

Comment

Working...
                            X