Unable to go on-line on Fresh Install of 2008 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to go on-line on Fresh Install of 2008 R2

I just installed Windows Server 2008 and for some reason I am not able to go on-line. My DNS and IP settings are all correct. I can ping the gateway and other servers and devices on the network but Internet access does not work. Also, from other devices on the network I cannot ping this server. Am I missing something?

Re: Unable to go on-line on Fresh Install of 2008 R2

Doesnt the setup wizard prompt you to configure updates before enabling the firewall?
    Check that is not set to block all connections
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've set my Domain, Private, and Public profiles to allow all outbound and inbound connections and that didn't help. I even tried disabling the Windows Firewall completely and no luck either. I have Windows 2003 servers on that same subnet and none of them are having this problem so I know for a fact that my DNS servers are properly configured.

Something in 2008 R2 is blocking my Internet access. Is this a default setting that I need to change? It is a FRESH install so nothing has been touched except for the TCP/IP settings.

Comment

Any proxy settings that may/may not be present?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hmm... have worked with Server 2008 R2 a fair bit and have never experienced an issue whereby internet connectivity is dysfunctional on install.

Is this a new server or was it previously on another operating system which you then upgraded to Server 2008 R2?

If this is a new server... does the network environment the server reside in employ any form of MAC address or IP address filtering on a switch, proxy or firewall level?

Also, are you using the NIC drivers packaged with Server 2008 R2 or have you obtained NIC drivers from your vendor? While the Microsoft-packaged NIC drivers on Server 2008 R2 have never really given me any problems, I typically install the NIC drivers from my vendor anyway especially when I require features such as link aggregation and what have you not.

Comment

Working...
          X