Replace Win2k DC's With Win2k8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Win2k DC's With Win2k8

I am in the process of replacing two Windows Server 2000 domain controllers with Windows 2008 domain controllers (DNS, DHCP, GC). I have prepped the domain for Windows 2008 server, the two new servers are up, I have run DCPROMO to make the new servers domain controllers, but I am at the point where I have a few questions.

1. Both Win2k DCs have all 5 FSMO roles, I would assume that only of my Win2k8 DCs should have all 5 roles, as opposed to both.

2. Given the DCs are also DHCP servers, network hosts should pickup the IP addresses of the new DNS server automatically. However, will I have to change DNS settings on systems with static IP addresses?

If there are any other recommendations, or anything I am missing, let me know. Thanks.

Re: Replace Win2k DC's With Win2k8

In a single domain, each FSMO can only be held on ONE DC so if both your DCs have all the FSMOs you have big problems.

Move the roles to a DC (or split them among both) and then ensure neither 2K DC has them

You will need to reconfigure DHCP (probably setting it up on a new 2K8 server) and manually change DNS on the machines with static IPs

Remember to make both your 2K8 servers into GCs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Great, your response is along the same lines as to how I was planning on proceeding. I thought it was odd that the existing DCs both had all 5 roles. Moving forward, I will try to update the DNS information for all hosts with static IP addresses, move the FSMO roles to one of the new DCs, demote the existing DCs, and then setup the two new DCs as DHCP servers. Are there any other configurations I would need to do with the second new DC?... and both new DCs have the GC.

Comment

Both DCs holding all FSMOs is not just odd, it is potentially catastrophic!
        It may be best to deal with that first!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Both DCs holding all FSMOs is not just odd, it is potentially catastrophic!
          It may be best to deal with that first!
          The odd thing is that they have been running that way for 4+ years without any known issues. I have no idea why they were originally setup that way, and never gave it any thought until I recently looked into the roles of each existing DC.

Comment

Hi,

You will need to perform the following to migrate your DCs:
            1. Raise Domain Functional Level
            2. Prepare your current Windows 2000 Active Directory for Windows Server 2008 domain controllers.
            3. Then, we will need to setup the server new server as an additional domain controller
            4. Transfer FSMO roles to the Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
            I have covered these with a step by step article : Migrating Active Directory Domain Controller from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008

Don't forget that you will need to set your new win2k8 DC as a Global Catalog.

Here are some usefull Links as well :

Setting Up an Additional Domain Controller With Windows Server 2008
            Transferring FSMO Roles in Windows Server 2008
            Setting a Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller as a Global Catalog
            Tarek Majdalani
            MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Working...
            X