No announcement yet.

IIS7 Authentication Methods

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS7 Authentication Methods

Hello friends,

I would like to ask a question related with the authentication methods on IIS7. I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Let me explain a few thing before asking my question:

- I am using Windows Server 2008 with IIS7 installed and working.
    - Server is configured to run under Active Directory.
    - I don't have any control panel software (and I am not planning to use because of financial problems).
    - It is not possible for me to use Apache or any other webserver software due to maintanence problems.

Under these circumstances I want to use to password protect a directory and its sub-directories and only Administrators (or some other Organizational Units) of the Domain can access these folders like .htaccess system of Apache. As you know, Apache can authenticate using .htaccess along .htpassword file, LDAP, etc. When I looked at the IIS panel, I have found similar authentication methods, and then, I have succesfully installed Basic, Digest and Windows Authentication methods. I have tried these methods and I could not find a solution to my problem.

Sometimes password protection works; however, the protection does not cover sub-directories. Sometimes password protection doesn't work, even if I use the Administrator account of the domain. In any case, I couldn't manage to work password protection of a directory like in Apache model.

Is there any way, or tutorial on .htaccess-like authentication methods of IIS7; so, I can password protect a directory and its subfolders?

Thanks in advance

Re: IIS7 Authentication Methods

Hello again,

I have found the solution for my question. That is "Helicon Ape".

In any case, I wanted to share the solution for others.

Have a nice day!

Re: IIS7 Authentication Methods

You should take a look at IIS URL Authorization, which provides some advanced access control methods.