No announcement yet.

transfer fsmo FROM 2008 to 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer fsmo FROM 2008 to 2003

I was told by a software vendor their software was supported on Server 2008, but, it isn't. Long story short, I have a 2008 Server Std with is a DC and holds the FSMO roles. I need to migrate the roles over to a newly built 2003 Server Std R2 to make it the master and the 2008 will then be decommissioned.

When I tried to do this the 'normal' way, I got an error that said I need to upgrade the OS. Please tell me there is a way to do this, without upgrading the 2003 to 2008, as, well, I most certainly do not want to deal the the workstation ramifications of doing so...

Re: transfer fsmo FROM 2008 to 2003

what is your domain functional level ?

actually, I don't understand. What is the software in question, and why do you need to transfer the FSMO roles to make it work ?
    just deploy a new W2003 server, problem sorted.

if attempting to do it correctly fails, there may be a reason.. you could try seizing them, but it could fk things up royally
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: transfer fsmo FROM 2008 to 2003

As long as your FL is 2003, you can transfer them "in the same old way" by setting up a 2003 ADC and moving them over

If you have raised the FL, you are out of luck....
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **