Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• domain file shares???

hi all.....

we have a couple of domain servers, all GC's connected via VPN, all talk to each other & do DFS etc

we can share \\server1\share \\server2\share perfectly well, but if we try \\domain.local\share then access is denied

can anyone point us in the right direction, im sure its something simple

if we ping domain.local it returns the correct server IP depending which side of the VPN we are

we have server 2008 (the original slow one, not R2) although we have the same problem is out 2003R2 test setup

thanks

Re: domain file shares???

Have you checked your share and ntfs permissions?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am not sure I understood the problem... (Actually, I am sure I did not understand ...)
      \\domain.local\share implies you are looking for the DFS namespace? Or it was supposed to be \\server1.domain.local\share (meaning, the FQDN of server1)?
      How can you ping domain.local? Usually, domain.local is the name of the domain itself, how can you ping the whole domain?
      Are both servers with the File Server role installed, besides being DCs? If yes, is the DFS Role Service installed also?
      Please provide more info about your set-up, I am not able to get the whole picture here...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

it is quite simple

server1 is at site 1
        server2 is at site 2

Site 1 is linked to site 2 via hardware VPN

both servers are configured as GC's under domain test.local, server1 is role holder

servers are configured in sites & Services within correct IP range

if you ping test.local you get back the ip address of the correct server depending which site you are at, in the same way if you pinged the server directly

our problem is

\\server1\share works but \\test.local\share does not, but \\test.local\netlogon does

we have checked NTFS permissions, all seems ok but what should we be looking for, Whats the difference between the shares??

Thanks

Comment

I think you're doing it wrong. A couple of things:

1. Pinging the domain does work (as you stated) and will be responded to by a domain controller.

2. Accessing \\test.local\netlogon works because that's the Netlogon share on the domain controller(s).

3. Accessing \\test.local\share doesn't work because you're tring to access a domain DFS namespace by using a sharename that doesn't exist on the server(s) that host the DFS Root (namespace). You need to access the DFS namespace like this:

\\test.local\DfsRootName

4. You can access one of the shares that the DFS namespace refers to like this:

\\ServerWhereSharedFolderExists\ShareName"]\\ServerWhereSharedFolderExists\ShareName

So what is your DFS Root name? is it named Share?

Comment

Can you please clarify -- are you using a domain based DFS namespace?
            If so, is the namespace server running properly -- from the description it may not be
            Try adding an additional namespace server for redundancy and seeing if that cures it
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X