Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 R2 reboots if the secondary drive is not present

Hi everyone,

I've already Googled to no avail, thought to try you guys now!

Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit is installed on 2x 160 GB in mirrored Raid format and all worked fine for at least six months till the Data drive failed (1 TB SATA 2), everything got slow and had to reboot that this caused O/S cycling with no error message (just before getting to the log in stage to enter the user credential).

I am remembering to set the Sysvol and ntds on the secondary drive to increase the AD performance while setting up this computer as a Domain Controller but just wondering if missing these info or AD database can result in the Server failure to boot?

I was expecting to see I can log in and have some issues with AD but not this one

I guess another possibility is that somehow some files related to Windows boot up process been moved to the secondary drive, but is there any way to find out what and then how to move them back to O/S drive?

Any suggestion / ideas / and jokes are appreciated as I'm really exhusted now and need to cheer up

Many thanks,

Fardin

Re: Server 2008 R2 reboots if the secondary drive is not present

No AD database on a DC will definitely cause it to fail. There are no local accounts, only domain ones, so no AD, no logon....

Do you have another domain controller? If so, carpe FSMO and remove all traces of the failed DC from active directory, then completely rebuild the problem machine.

If not, boot into Active Directory Restore Mode (F8 on boot) and restore the AD folder structure from your most recent backup (you do have backups, don't you? )

Surely your data drive was RAID1 or RAID5? For most businesses, data is far more important than the OS
    Last edited by Ossian; 8th September 2010, 10:12.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply, yes Data drive is RAID 1 and it's safe and sound

No, there is no other Server in the office and I need to read some documentations on AD Restore mode and play with it this weekend and let you know if it was successful or not

Meanwhile, that would be great if you can refer me to some good sources on this subject.

I've already found close to ten different links via googling for my after work studies.

Cheers,

Comment

How exactly was the system setup???

If you are sayong you had 2 HDD setup in morrored raid then you should in theory be able to remove the failed drive and the mirror will take over.

You may need to move the mirrored drive to slot 0 for this to work.

Comment

Problem is not the OS partition, it is the partition with the AD database which has been lost (at least thats how I read the original post).

@fardin
          restore active directory and you will get some good tutorials
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

apologies if I am being dumb, but would a mirrored container consist of the same data as the failed drive?

Or am I misreading this?

Comment

Unless I am completely misreading post#1, he has:
              OS -- mirrored
              Data -- ??? -- with Active Directory database on it

The problem is that he has lost the data partition (or at least the AD database) and so the server will not boot fully

@Fardin -- can you please confirm this
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Sorry about the confusion, I should have been more clear at the beginning.

O/S: 2x 160 GB SATA 2 mirrored
                Data: 2x 1 TB SATA 2 mirrored
                Backup: 1x TB External Drive (Full Windows Server Backup every night)

Problem started when one of the Data drives failed, I replaced it with a new one, Intel Storage utility kicked in to re-build it and I accepted, then when finished a day latter, they were both blank, somehow it re-build to the blank drive and this caused AD and other applications not functioning.

A computer reboot made it worst as nobody could log in anymore.

I already had a complete image of the Data drive (Norton Ghost), tried to ghosted back, I could see all the data there but it still wouldn't let O/S to boot.

Using the latest Windows Backup, put both O/S and Data back but still encountered unknown problem. This resolved as soon as I broke the Raid on Data, one 1 TB in use only, O/S booted properly!

So, now, I'm trying to find a way to make O/S drive independent of Data drive and later deal with the Data Raid issue.

Hope this clears up a bit

and appreciate all the replies.

Comment

From what you have said, you will need to move Active Directory to the OS drive
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257420
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

OK ...

I spent half an hour on weekend and successfully moved the AD database to the O/S drive using ntdsutil command but spent 4 hours on a failed Sysvol relocation and finally had to revert back using the latest SystemState backup

I have to work on moving Sysvol to O/S drive later but the important part is done ... thanks to you guys and your feedback

So, basically, I think this thread can be closed as I informed here that my server didn't reach the log in stage due to missing AD database and had to move the database to C: to resolve this problem ... and all done!

Appreciate all the help I got here, specially from Ossian.

Cheers.

Comment

No problems -- glad it is working

Now PLEASE install an additional DC so one can fail and not screw up AD totally!
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Now PLEASE install an additional DC so one can fail and not screw up AD totally!
                        Vitally important as you are now aware

Comment

Working...
                        X