No announcement yet.

File Server Cals

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Server Cals

Hi People

i have a windows 2008 server that i am using as a file server there are approximatly 35 staff which use the files on and off

do i need to get device/user cals for this server?

i cannot find the cal section on this server to see whats currently there but i do not get errors saying not enough cals so i dont see why i need them?

people are not using RDP to the server - only shared folders are being used as a mapped drive

does XP come with a CAL installed automatically that give it the connection to the server?

i have been through alot of the microsoft pages and it talks alot more about terminal server rather than standard server 2008 being used as a file server

Cheers for any replies

Re: File Server Cals

Usual Disclaimer: check with MS directly

If you have user or computer CALs (one per user or one per client PC) you can use each to connect to unlimited servers - you will need 35 CALs total
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **