Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run individual software as admin but user still domain user

Hi Guys,

My boss has had a bit of a security alert and as a result everyone has been demote to domain users the only problem is that every department has 1 or 2 programs that need admin rights so i am trying to thing of a solution without giving local admin rights...

I am wondering the best way to do this, is there a domain policy that will allow certain software programs to run as admin i have looked an i cannot see this policy.
    i am wondering if i go round individually and log in as admin then go to the compatibility tab and select run this program as administrator then when the domain user logs back in will they be able to use the program without being prompted for admin credentials?

Or is there a better solution?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Run individual software as admin but user still domain user

Originally posted by bkkperson View Post
    Hi Guys,

My boss has had a bit of a security alert and as a result everyone has been demote to domain users the only problem is that every department has 1 or 2 programs that need admin rights so i am trying to thing of a solution without giving local admin rights...

I am wondering the best way to do this, is there a domain policy that will allow certain software programs to run as admin i have looked an i cannot see this policy.
    i am wondering if i go round individually and log in as admin then go to the compatibility tab and select run this program as administrator then when the domain user logs back in will they be able to use the program without being prompted for admin credentials?

Or is there a better solution?
    Thanks in advance
    What OS are the client's running... XP, Vista, or 7? My first instinct is to go around right away to each PC and right click the icons and select Run As Admin then enter the admin credentials and save it for those programs only. I would then figure out a more thorough fix that can be documented. If you are using Win7 and Server 2k8, there is a "white-list" setting for certain programs and also there should be some new GP settings. But I would do the quick fix first so that work is not impacted, then proceed to browse through GP and find a permanent fix. Best practice is to keep them as domain users to avoid security breaches that you are currently experiencing. Keep us posted of any updates.

Comment

Re: Run individual software as admin but user still domain user

Thanks for the info.. iv been looking through grou0p policy and the white list only allows the installtion of new or exsiting software that is approved, i cannot see any option in there to allow certain programs to run as admin while disallowing others..

I found a program from Microsoft called Application Compatibilty toolkit which once installed you run it with admin rights and from within the program add all of the programs you wish to use running as admin and it will create a database/lock and add the database to the add/remove program and all of the programs can then run as admin,.... this is the only thing i have found so if anyboyd else has got a betetr solution please provide

Comment

Working...
      X