Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with CA

hello sir....

I created one user x and x created a folder and encrypted the folder contents.
    Another user y wants to read the encrypted folder contents.So added y to domain admins group.
    I installed Certification Authority on server2008 r2.
    But when i try to run MMC ->add rem snap in->add->certificate...on y user account
    its showing error like this..

certificate request wizard
    -there are no trusted CA available.
    -you do not hav the permission to request certificates from available CA etc.

sir please can you help me to solve this.

Re: Problems with CA

Please do not hijack threads, particularly not the stickies. Always start a new topic when you have a new issue.

What exact goal are you trying to achieve -- I think it is to give another user access to an encrypted folder.

You do not do this by making them a domain admin -- that will give them full access to almost everything but NOT to the encrypted folder.

User X must share the encrypted folder with Y -- it is done under the encryption properties of the folder. The CA is not involved.

Also Domain Admins do not have access to encrypted folders -- the Administrator does (so you could give Y the password) because they are a "recovery agent". You can add other recovery agents but they will only work for files encrypted after they are made an agent -- not files encrypted before.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

how to post a new thread ?

hii ossian ...

sir could you plz tell me how to post a new thread ??

Comment

Re: how to post a new thread ?

I did already, in your other thread in the Server 2003 forum.

Somehow you managed to post a new thread that time, so the same process should work again
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

how to post a new thread ?

ossian....

so u remember me..
          that day i somehow managed and i got ...from where to post a new thread..
          but i forgot from where i got that...
          help me yaaaaaarrrr...
          new to this thats why....
          regards..

Comment

Re: unable to read the contents of encryptd folder

hello sir.....

still the user cant read the encrypted folder of another user evnthough the user y is given the read access.
            i shared the folder made by the user x and gav the user y read permission.
            still the its showing access denied...

any solutions sir..??

help

plz reply
            regards

Comment

Is Y able to access an UNENCRYPTED folder belonging to X?

Has X (not someone else) gone into encryption properties and added Y to "users who can transparently access this file"?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

yes sir..y can access the unencrypted folder he can read the contents of x folder.

Comment

And the second question?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Re:

sir...

could you please tell me why there is no sharing tab in the folder properties?

i tried it by unchking the use simple file sharing(tools-view...)..

reply...

Comment

Re:

Can you post a screenshot?

You clearly said (post #6 above) that you shared the folder
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Re:

sir...

am trying with new users x and y.
                        before that.. one user(post 6) was added to the domain admins group.there by i got sharing tab for that user....

but when i tried with the new users both users is not havin the shared tab..

Comment

Re:

client machine using is the windows xp pro.. sp2

Comment

Re:

its showing some error......cannot attach the file..

Comment

Working...
                            X