TPM Base Services service will not start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPM Base Services service will not start

I have 2 Windows 2008 R2 Servers that the TPM Base Services Service will not start. It is setup to start automatically at startup but Server Assist notices it does not start and gives me an error.
    At least one automatically started service or driver has failed to start. Failed services: TPM Base Services. Failed drivers: sacdrv. Performance data capture and critical service monitoring will be started, but it may not be possible to capture all data or monitor all services successfully.”
    I see that TPM Base Services uses the process svchost.exe and all of my svchost.exe processes are running currently and I’m not getting any other errors on the server. I have tried restarting the service but it starts and then stops immediately and gives this warning “The TPM Base Services service on server name started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs”.
    So since TDM Base Services Service is a hardware-based cryptographic service to system components and applications, does it not start when I am not using an application that needs to use keys protected by the TPM? And if this is the case, can I disable this service until I may need it?

Re: TPM Base Services service will not start

Is it enabled in BIOS, and have you fully switched off your server after changing the setting? (a reboot is not enough)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I was finally able to get into the BIOS this morning and cannot find anything called TPM Base Services. Is it described as something different?

Comment

Here is a link to my BIOS.
        http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00191707.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by JLWin View Post
          Please review Page 59
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How did I not find that when I searched. Thank you very much for your help. I will turn try this fix this week.

Comment

Working...
            X