Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 DC upgrade to 2008

Hi there

Currently have 2 DC's running 2003 Std and wanting to do an inplace upgrade to Server 2008

Have some questions.
    1. Main Root DC has only 2 GB left. From what I have read it is not sufficient to do an the upgrade. What should I do

2. Should I go to 64 bit or leave it at 32 Bit?

3. Any good sites you can suggest so that I can do some reading.

Thanks

Raman

Re: Windows 2003 DC upgrade to 2008

IMNSHO
    Don't do an upgrade -- a fresh install on new hardware gives you no legacy issues and a much longer life

Specifically
    1) Unless you can clear 20 Gb (preferably 50-80 Gb) free space you are on a hiding to nothing
    2) R2 is only 64 bit, so no real option unless you use downgrade rights
    3) Here, of course, and if you are willing to spend a little, look at the video training from www.trainsignal.com
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply.

Have one more question with your first answer: my root dc is virutal server. So creating a new one is not a problem.

the question I have is how do i transfer all the roles from the current WIndow 2003 Root DC to the 2008 server or will 2008 will take care of this?

Raman

Comment

If you only have two DCs (the old and the new), demoting the old will automatically transfer FSMOs. If you have more than two, it is a guessing game where the FSMOs will go to so better to transfer them manually. If you are paranoid, do the manual transfer regardless!

Also you need to make sure DHCP, DNS and (if you still use it) WINS are on the new DC before decommissioning the old one, and that clients are aware of that

But please note, you should have at least one physical DC in your environment otherwise the host will boot and (assuming it is a domain member) spend ages looking for a DC before giving up and then starting the virtual DC. Of course the host will also fail to pick up policies properly as some are only obtained from the DC when the host boots!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes! I have only 2 DC's a physical DC (which is my backup) and my root dc which is virtual which means demoting my virtual one will move all the FSMO roles to the phyiscal one which is great.

One other question which has cropped up is CA (certificate Authority). what is the best process of moving my CA to the another DC?

Thanks

Raman

Comment

Working...
          X