(My) Documents Folder redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (My) Documents Folder redirection

Most of our users already have the (My) Documents folder (I have XP, 7 clients) redirected to multiple file servers, the redirections were done manually.

I'll shortly get new hardware and want to consolidate all of them on one file server using GPO. My question is are there any problems with users that use/have multiple machines? Anything else I should worry about?

Re: (My) Documents Folder redirection

It is always a pain moving my docs via GPO after a manual point to a different server.

Do yourself a favour and follow this routine (as per my experience)

1. Create the my docs folders on the new server
    2. go to the machine manually and just perform a repoint (obviously there isn't a lot of machines so this is ok)
    3. make sure you copy contents into new location
    4. Do your mydocs redirection group policy once the data is in new location

Save you a headache

Apart from this, nothing to worry about.
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

I should have provided more details. I would move all the profiles to the new server manually (over a weekend) and just use GPO to point them to the correct one.

Comment

When you say "profiles", do you just mean manual redirection of my docs?
        Steven Roberts
        IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Oops. Yes, only Documents, nothing else.

Comment

If you are not going to each machine individually, and just doing the file copy, I would do the following ;

1. Copy all information from old directories to new
            2. Select the "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location
              when policy is removed" option box within the redirection GPO, and click OK.
            3. Apply policy to all computers
            4. Create a new redirection policy to the new computers

The reason for this, is in my experience if you change the location for the redirection, the computers still look at the old location and it causes masses of problems.

It is so much easier to remove the policy, apply, reapply new policy.

Save yourself some time and do it this way.
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

Comment

Yes, going to each machine is not only very time consuming, but will most probably be close to impossible.

Since there's currently no GPO, I'll make sure to use Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed on the newly created policy.

Any experiences, issues with users that have multiple machines?

Comment

It should be fine, all my docs should be synchronised on all machines anyway, so the server copy will be the authoritive one.

I can't think of any experience of doing this with multiple machines, but I have had experience of moving my docs to a new location via gpo, and hopefully you will benefit from my hindsight!
                Steven Roberts
                IT Mercenary

Comment

Working...
                X