No announcement yet.

read only dc

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• read only dc

I have a windows 2003 server enviroment. I am installing a windows 2008 server domain controller and it is prompting me to " You will not be able to install a read only domain controller because adprep /rodcprep has not been run. I don't want it to be a read only server. How do I convert?

Re: read only dc

The message you are receiving during the DCPROMO process is simply letting you know that an RODC is not an option because you have not run the required ADPREP command as of yet. It does not mean that you are in the process of deploying an RODC. As a matter of fact, you should expect the RODC option to be greyed out during the DCPROMO process.

For you to deploy an RODC, you would not only have needed to run the ADPREP command, but you would also have to have at least one 2008 DC already established in the domain.
    no2 vaporizers
    Last edited by [JM]; 24th January 2011, 18:15.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting

Re: read only dc

IMHO, though, run the adprep/rodcprep anyway so you can deploy RODCs on demand in the future. It is non-destructive and will not impact your existing functionality
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **