Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extending an existing Windows 2008 R2 Server hard drive past the 2TB limit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending an existing Windows 2008 R2 Server hard drive past the 2TB limit.

I've got an HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 server running Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP1 server which has a D drive of 1.61TB made up of 3x 300GB Hard Drives. I've added another 3x 300GB drives and added them to the existing drive array (using the HP Array Configuration Utility) so the drive array now contains 6x 300GB hard drives. I extended the Logical drive to 2TB and the Windows partition to 2TB but I want to extend it by the remaining 2.5TB to create one logical drive with 4.5TB. The HP Array Configuration Utility is now showing the following:

SAS Array B- 1 Logical Drive
    Logical Drive 2 (2.0TB, RAID5)
    Unused space , 2,5TB

I'm worried that if I extend the logical drive using the unused 2.5TB space so that the logical drive becomes a 4.5TB drive,I will not be able to extend the Windows partition and the unused space will go to waste.
    Will I be able to extend the Windows partition from 2TB to 4.5TB?
    I'm hoping that worst case, Windows will allow me to create a new partition of 2TB thus giving me 2x 2TB partitions.

Disk Manager information is:
    Disk 1, Basic, 2048GB

Can someone tell me if I should extend the logical drive to 4.5TB or should I create another 2TB logical drive using the HP Array Configuration Utility and the unused disk space?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

IIRC the 2TB limit applies to MBR disks only, so if it's GPT then you are OK. You can't boot off a partition larger than 2TB unless you are using UEFI and not a legacy BIOS, but that's not an issue here. Also need to make sure that the RAID controller supports volumes of this size (pretty sure it will)

MBR volumes can be converted to GPT without data loss as well I think, never done it on a live system though.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Cruachan. I cannot convert the basic disk to Dynamic or GPT for some reason! I tried DISKPART and that failed as well with the similar error as below.

I had the 2TB logical drive and using the HP ACU, I extended the underlying logic drive by 500GB, but when in Windows Disk Manager, I can see "Disk 1", with a 2TB partition and 500GB unused disk, but choosing the Extend Volume option produces the error below. Looks like I lost that 500GB!

Right-clicking on the disk label shows the convert menu items as greyed out.

|
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Is there data on the disk?

Tried this?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/convert-mbr-to-gpt-disk

Comment

Yes there is data on the disk. Thanks for that link, I'll try it next time I extend a server's MBR disks.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Working...
          X