Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 users on one machine, one on domain the other on the local machine

Hi all
    can anyone tell me if this scenario is possible, I look after an office running several Windows 7 client machines and a Server 2008 R2
    I have a kiosk machine in the office that is locked down for a specific user so that the public can use it. In its locked down state it is not logged on to the domain, the account is logged on to the local machine only. However I want staff to be able to use it on the domain.

Is it possible to have 2 users, one that connects automatically to the domain and one that is only on the local machine?
    I know they can use the domain name or machine name before their username but I would like them to be able to simply select a user from the welcome screen and enter a password to log on
    I hope that makes sense
    Cheers
    Last edited by cygnus; 15th November 2015, 00:03.

When a logon takes place, if a domain is involved, the logon process has to know which Security Accounts Manager to query with the username and password provided, to perform the authentication check. When a machine is not part of a domain, there's only the local machine SAM to check, so usernames are all that are shown. That's why you see the domain or machine names as the prefix to the username if the login can be against either SAM. In your case, is there a reason that the users logging on aren't supposed to see the SAM name first? The login screen will show any registered usernames already, so a domain user who's logged in before will see his name available to choose, as well as the locally-defined user.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

When you domain join a machine, by default, the machine will not show the local users as logon options. You can change the logon to a local user by using the computer name\user name syntax, but it won't be shown by default.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

You can also use .\username for a local user.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          You can also use .\username for a local user.

True. That too can be used.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X