Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to grant a user "List Folders View" Only?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to grant a user "List Folders View" Only?

Hi,
    I'm in need of a way to let a specific user have the ability to view all the folders inside a share folder but have him access only specific folders, so the actual scenario will be that the user will be access to access the main folder, see all folders but be able to access only the once with Read\Write permissions.

i can't find any specific permissions for this task, nor am i sure if it's even possible?

Thank you in advance!

This begs the question "why?" but maybe that shouldn't be asked...

If you can do this, it will involve advanced permissions
    As a couple of starting points, read:
    http://superuser.com/questions/63765...-but-not-files
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...f=17&t=1170691

Both skirt around what you want (listing files but not allowing them to be opened) but should give a starting point for you. Having said that, I really don't know if it will be possible - I would be very interested if you do find a workable solution
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Isn't this straight forward? (Unless I misunderstand).

Grant full control for the top level folder (this would be the folder that is shared). Next, break permission inheritance for the sub folders and lock the user account out of those you do not want them to access, and grant them read/write access or whatever is required for the others.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

jj516 - It would be helpful if you, as the original person who opened this thread, would come back to review the answers that people gave, and perhaps give additional information or elaborate on what you tried so far.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X