• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigned Network Permission to two Groups,

Dear Experts,
    I have Windows Server 2008 R2 as DC and FILE
    I have a folder Name “Engineering”
    In this folder, there are many “Files” as Word File, Excel File, AutoCAD Files etc..
    All files I want to assigned to user to be access with permission:
    1-Read Only Group: They can only get into the “Engineering”Folder and they can see everything, but they can’t delete or do anything.
    2-Read and Write Group: This group have full permission to edit, delete etc…

In my LAP, I Can assigned permission to those two groups as the detail..but problems is “Group Read and Write” when they try to open Word file or Excel file and try to Save, it’s not allow them to save, Only allow them to Save As… beside this, they can delete everything…
    Can you help me?

This is because the MS office programs rely on temporary files which are deleted once they are finished with. To save Word/Excel in the folder, the users will need MODIFY permission.
    (and no, you can't change this behaviour - there is another lengthy thread recently on the same topic. You will have to either save Office documents elsewhere and move them to the R/W folder or train users not to misuse the delete permission (combined with frequent Shadow Copies and backups "just in case")
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian, the only difference between WRITE and MODIFY permission sets is the ability to delete anything from the folder. WRITE should give them just what the OP wants. What he may be seeing is the file lock issue when 1 person opens a file and another person then opens the same file. The first one will have read/write, the second will have only Read at the original location, and will be given the Save As dialog so they can put it somewhere else.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, Rickles, but that is contrary to what Microsoft have said (in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/277867)
        Still seems to apply to Office 2013 (https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=officeitpro)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I took what the OP wanted was the permissions assigned to the folder, to then be inherited by the files. As opposed to perms assigned directly at the file level in the folders, which your link includes. Since the 2 are slightly different and I hadn't noticed any reference specifically to that, I missed it.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

The last great ways is Shadow Copy and back up to help restore what they confusing delete.
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X