change LOGONSERVER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change LOGONSERVER

Is there a simple way to set the default LOGONSERVER per user using GP or if that fails change it for everyone. The dilemma we have is that our main office seems to be using a LOGONSERVER located at another office (if the connection fails we get issues).

I'd prefer our main office LOGONSERVER to be local here

Thanks

Check AD Sites and Services as you should preferentially get a local logon server based on path cost.
    If that doesn't work, you can look at the cost/weight of the SRV records in DNS

AFAIK there is no way of forcing users to authenticate against a particular DC - what would happen if it is down?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As Tom says you need rto create sites in AD Sites and Services as your clients should then start using a DC in the same site to logon.

At least in my experience that is exactly what happens.

Comment

Thanks guys, we're all in the same site so suspect this is the reason. When I use this command nltest /dsgetdcomainName /force to update cache, I can see the usual round robin results so maybe I need to change the costings/weight so the sub site DC handles less requests.

Comment

If you are all in the same site then this will be your problem.

Maybe explaining your setup to us will help us to provide a possible solution to your problem.

Comment

Working...
          X