Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I migrate/replace a windows server using the same Ip address?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I migrate/replace a windows server using the same Ip address?

at my work, I have about 100+ clients using all static ip address configurations and they all point to the same dns server's IP (I am new and didn't configure it like that). Anyway, we are getting ready to swap our dns/domain server with a new one (new hardware blade server) running windows server 2008 R2. How should I do this and keep the same IP address as the old one? What is the best way? We want to keep the same IP address to prevent reconfiguring all clients and all servers manually one by one since they have to be statically configured.

For some reason, since I work at a university, the school doesn't allow some small departments to use dhcp.

Can we just use a different IP address when migrating the FISMO roles from the old 2003 server, demote the 2003 server then change the IP address of the new one to the old one? Would that work?

I just wanted to verify.

Re: How should I migrate/replace a windows server using the same Ip address?

Someone is being very silly by not letting you use DHCP -- WHY????

Best I can think of is a script to add the new DNS server to the clients, decommission the old one and then another script to remove the old IP. At least "they" let you use a domain so you can roll it out with group policies.

Your strategy would work if you accept clients being without DNS during the changeover period.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm pretty sure we can accept the brief downtime since I will probably do all this at like 10pm at night after work hours and it should take less than 20 min ect.

I'll have to ask my manager but I think he'll agree to the above rather than going to each client and manually doing it which would take hours.

By the way, I don't know how to write a script to do it, could anyone help me out with a possible script and then how would you run it to all your clients on the network. I want to learn some scripting/powershell but don't know where to start.

I know Java/C/C++ pretty well but have never wrote script or powershell.
      Last edited by chaz0426; 4th August 2010, 19:11.

Comment

Try
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Lots of hits but it boils down to netsh:
        http://www.petri.com/configure_tcp_ip_from_cmd.htm
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

alright thanks

Comment

Working...
          X