Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to create a Windows Server 2008 R2 Server with the same name of another server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to create a Windows Server 2008 R2 Server with the same name of another server

Hi All,

I am looking for a solution or best guide to do the following:

1. Create a Windows Server 2008 R2 server with the same computer name of another server
    2. Both Servers need to be running at the same time
    3. The Servers will be part of the same domain

I am aware that I could potentially run into errors with have two servers on the network with the same name.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mak

I have to ask.....WHY?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Likewise...
      Can you explain what you are trying to do -i.e. why you need this - and perhaps we can come up with a workable alternative, but basically you can't, however you could create an alias in DNS with one name pointing to two servers
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It can't be done. You cannot have two computers with the same name joined to the same AD domain.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. Here are the reasons for my post:

* Currently we have a Windows 2003 Server which is in production and being used by approx. 100 users. There is an application that runs on the server, and the license for the application is tied to the name of the server i.e. TR1561O
          * The application provides the users with access to a confidential system.
          * Due to the support for Windows Server 2003 ending very soon, we are looking to create a new server based on Windows Server 2008 R2 and have the application installed on this new Server.
          * The issue is that the vendor's of the application will carry out the installation on-site and can only do it during business hours (which is not practical due to the nature of having two servers with identical computer names on the network).

I have asked the vendor for the application to provide us with a viable solution and am waiting for their response.

Thanks.

-Mak

Comment

Can you have downtime?

(and bloody stupid application IMHO)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No downtime, this is the problem, and yes a bloody stupid application, and the person that signed it off in the first place, needs a good kick!!!

Comment

What about doing a full backup from the old machine and restoring to the new one? Can the application handle that or will it know the machines are different?
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by makavelli12 View Post
                  No downtime, this is the problem, and yes a bloody stupid application, and the person that signed it off in the first place, needs a good kick!!!
                  Can't be done. You will require downtime to successfully complete this.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

Can't be done. You will require downtime to successfully complete this.

Actually, it COULD be done, if the new server is a VM and is ISOLATED from the production environment (i.e. cannot "see" the same network). Theoretically, if this could be done, the vendor could be given access to the VM to setup whatever they need to setup, then once the new server is ready, the old one would be removed from the network and from AD, computer account cleaned, then the new VM would be given access to the network, joined to the domain, and everyone would be happy. This could work, but in order for it to work we assume that the application does NOT require access to the production AD.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post

Actually, it COULD be done, if the new server is a VM and is ISOLATED from the production environment (i.e. cannot "see" the same network). Theoretically, if this could be done, the vendor could be given access to the VM to setup whatever they need to setup, then once the new server is ready, the old one would be removed from the network and from AD, computer account cleaned, then the new VM would be given access to the network, joined to the domain, and everyone would be happy. This could work, but in order for it to work we assume that the application does NOT require access to the production AD.
                      In the scenario the OP has listed it can't be done.

There is no mention of a virtual environment so the presumption I've made is it is a physical setup.

Almost anything is possible inside a virtual environment to facilitate this for the OP, including access to AD if absolutely critical (clone of a DC should achieve this for testing)

Again though it is another example of why we need more information from askers about what they have available.

Comment

danielp, wullieb1, thanks for your inputs. I was actually thinking of putting it into the Virtual environment, but as danielp mentioned the application needs to have access to the Production environment. So the only way to do it would be to create a new machine out of business hours. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by makavelli12 View Post
                          danielp, wullieb1, thanks for your inputs. I was actually thinking of putting it into the Virtual environment, but as danielp mentioned the application needs to have access to the Production environment. So the only way to do it would be to create a new machine out of business hours. Thanks for all your help!

You're welcome. So what is your plan?
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Have you asked the vendor how they usually handle this scenario? Could they not issue a temporary licence perhaps? Or just a brand new licence, based on the name of the new server, if they know you are cutting over anyway?
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sorry for the late response/update.

In the end, it was agreed to have downtime but only over a weekend so that the new VM could be installed and configured with the help of the vendor. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Appreciate it.

- Mak

Comment

Working...
                              X