Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file permission

Hi ,

We are using windows server 2008 , we have about 15 users network.

Now , We have 1 folder and several sub folders and about 500 files inside it. Now I want to implement a setting such as users can access those files , edit the files but do not able to delete the files inside those subfolders

For that I have made the changes file by file and its working fine..my users as are able to make change in that file but unable to delete the file manually or accidentially...but the problem is , I have 100 sub folders and 1000 files inside that , so its difficult to set the permission one by one..

so is there any way to set the permission in all files with a single command line...

thanks..

You can do it through the GUI. On the root folder, go to Security -> Advanced -> Add. Then configure the settings you want and change the "Applies To" to Files Only. Click image for larger version

Name:	NTFS-permissions.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	491212
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi ,

I have reach to the advance option inside the security tab and remove the delete permission for 5 users in the root folder..Now those users are unable to delete the files inside that main folder but , when they are trying to edit the file and save it , they are getting error of sharing violation

I have attach the error message in this...I want users can edit the files and create new files inside the main folder but they can not remove the files..

Thanks

Comment

That would be the way Excel (and other office programs) work - they create temporary files and delete them as part of the standard saving process.

This is hard coded into the application - see https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/211632 for more information (applies to Excel too)

Under the circumstances, you will have to reconsider your permission structure and allow delete on the folder (if you had said Office was involved, you would have been told this from the start)

How about auditing of file deletion combined with user re-education (with blunt instruments ) if they do delete anything other than the temporary files
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply..

So , is there any way that we can set the mechanism that , users can save word excel file , i mean temporary files are allowed but they can not delete the file...

Is there any third party utility tool - freeware available..

Thanks

Comment

AFAIK there is no way of saving Office files without modify (including delete) permission on the save location

You could have them save somewhere else and copy into the final location
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

What is the meaning of " AFAIK"

Is there any freeware tool , who can help me to manage the critical scenario...

Thanks,

Comment

Have you tried https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=AF...6ow&gws_rd=ssl
                I don't know of any tool to do this - you might be able to write an Excel macro to save to a different location then copy to the "proper" one, but then you would have to train users to use it and not the normal save option

Why is this a "critical scenario" - what is the business case and why can't user training not to delete files work?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Have you looked into using Sharepoint? This would be a good case for using it.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Enable Shadow Copy and remove the Delete option. That way if any idiot deletes the file you can recovery it easily. This appears to be a PICNIC problem.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi ,

You mean to say , enable the shadow copy on the Drive and then If i remove the delete option from the advance security option , my users will not able to delete the files from that critical folder but they can work on excel files inside that folders....

Also , If i install share point server , inside sharepoint , is there any option that users can work on word excel files but they will not be able to delete..

Thanks..

Comment

No, I think he meant remove "delete" from the shadow copies.
                        You MUST have delete permission to work with Office files

In SharePoint you have file versioning and a recycle bin to recover accidentally deleted files, plus you can probably set (non-standard) permissions to add but not delete files from a library

Note that setting up SharePoint is a non-trivial task and requires planning, particularly of database capacity and site structure, as well as consideration of the features you want and licensing implications. It is definitely NOT something you do in an afternoon
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                          Note that setting up SharePoint is a non-trivial task and requires planning, particularly of database capacity and site structure, as well as consideration of the features you want and licensing implications. It is definitely NOT something you do in an afternoon
                          Totally agree. I am no Sharepoint admin. If I wanted a Sharepoint site then I'd be hiring a consultant (or actually talking to my coworker who is our Sharepoint guru)
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Guys, we have someone who is having trouble with file permissions. How do you think they will ever manage a SharePoint Server? Must KISS!! Just saying like.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Guys, we have someone who is having trouble with file permissions. How do you think they will ever manage a SharePoint Server? Must KISS!! Just saying like.
                              Same way as (s)he has managed everything else - by asking for help here, while claiming to have genuine skills
                              (and if anyone thinks that's being harsh, please review the poster's history before judging)

Biggles77, I see your PICNIC and raise you PEBCAK
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X