Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time servers

Hi,

I have a question related to time servers. We have 78 sites. Each site has its own domain and they are not in a forest. I have setup a time server at head office and I want to make sure all site DCs update from the HO time server. I believe running this command should do it but I am unsure -
    net time \\ho_time_server /set /y

Can anyone confirm if this is the right command? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks for reading.

Regards.

Re: Time servers

DC's are synced automatically which the PDC emulator.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

But according to the OP he has 78 different PDC emulators -- if each site really is its own forest

AFAIK you can, as long as you have permission, synchronise with a machine in a different domain or forest.

It does beg the question of what iD10T designed (using the word in its very loosest sense) such an infrastructure
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Agreed. Why 78 domains?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I am not sure who originally designed the domain but I think it was done this way for security reasons. Unfortunately I have had the pleasure of looking after these sites for the last 10 months We are actually thinking of making a trusted forest with the sites or even creating one single domain for all the sites.

Regards.

Comment

Oh, missed that. I did read 78 sites but not 78 domains ....
            Anyhow, if you want to configure all 78 pdc emulators you need to use w32tm to configure a timeserver on the PDC emulator.

However, this is getting almost unable to manage. I would go back to just one or a few domains.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Just to update everyone - running the net time \\ho_time_server /set /y command did work for me. However, can anyone tell if I should create a batch file to run it once a month, etc? Not sure if Windows checks time automatically after I run the command the first time.

Thanks.

Comment

No, that command only does it once
                You can specify time servers in the registry ( w32tm) or schedule that command every day (IMHO)
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X