No announcement yet.

change a users name on the domain, email etc

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change a users name on the domain, email etc

Hi this must be a common situation but I'm not sure of the best way to address it.
    I am looking after a small office, the setup is 1 server running Windows Server 2008 R2, 8 client PCs all running Windows 7 Pro.

One of the users has got married and so I need to change her name throughout the system - change login name, email address etc.

Can I just change the name of her account in Active Directory. If I do will she still be able to access all her files and folders as before?
    She uses Outlook on her local machine to access email, we do not use Exchange to handle the emails they are handled by an external mail serer. Di I ned to create a brand new email account or is there a way to just change the name on her existing account in Outlook so she doen't lose all her mailboxes .

Is there a standard procedure I can follow to change her name, login, emails etc

many thanks people

You can change the name in AD without having to change permissions - they are on the SID
    Look in the Outlook account properties and you can change the display name there - you will also need to change email addresses on the external server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Right click user and change name to whatever, from memory it should simply be a case of renaming the account.
      Change the login name if required.
      Add email address with new name and set as primary leaving the old one in place.

As Tom says the users access rights, etc. are all controlled via the SID. You only see the name so you can read it more easily.