Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I shrink this partition or request a new LUN?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I shrink this partition or request a new LUN?

Need some advice, please.

It seems like Data, which uses disk 1 and disk 3 (spanned volumes) is now "too small" for our environment. At the same time, it seems like The volume for TLogs, which is disk2, is too big for our needs.

Can someone give me the pros or cons of shrinking Disk3 to let's say, 300GB? Then added the 200GB unpartitioned space to to the spanned volume currently formed by disk1 and disk3.

I know that another option would be creating two new LUNs. One of 300GB then move the ldf files there. The create another nother LUN of 200GB and use that new LUN to expand the current Data volume formed by disk1 and disk3. Then destroy the old 500GB volume (after changing mount points, etc) This option will require small downtime, as MSSQL runs there.

I am not a big fan of spanned volumes on windows, because if a disk goes down (LUN on this case) I will loose everything, but this is a lab environment and only holds one or two important databases of a few MBs that also have backups. Plus Data is already on a spanned volume, so making disk2 part of a new volume won't be something totally new.
    Server Volumes
    Last edited by sql_lover; 2nd June 2015, 18:28.

If you can get new LUNs the size you need and then move the data to it, I think that would ideal. Get rid of disks 1, 2, and 3.

When you add a LUN larger than 2TB then be sure to initialize it as a GPT instead of MBR.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      If you can get new LUNs the size you need and then move the data to it, I think that would ideal. Get rid of disks 1, 2, and 3.

When you add a LUN larger than 2TB then be sure to initialize it as a GPT instead of MBR.

Thanks for reply.

That's the problem. We are trying to not involve IT on our changes, which we will have to if we request new LUN. Also, Windows runs on top of VMware so we can't get partitions above 2TB, I think is because we were running 5.0

Comment

I see. Then your only option is to shrink the partition of the logs drive, convert the disk to dynamic, add the space to the spanned drive. If that doesn't give you the setup you need then you'll have to work with the storage admins and get another LUN.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          I see. Then your only option is to shrink the partition of the logs drive, convert the disk to dynamic, add the space to the spanned drive. If that doesn't give you the setup you need then you'll have to work with the storage admins and get another LUN.
          Thanks!

Yeah, I decided to proceed and we will plan for that. It seems that's my only option here. I just don't like spanned volumes too much but I fail to understand how it can be a problem on this particular situation.

Comment

I don't understand why you simply don't request a new lun.
            If you request a VMDK then you're limited to the 2TB unless you're running on vSphere 5.5. But for a LUN it doesn't matter (it it isn't a vRDM)
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X