No announcement yet.

2008 Group Policy in 2003 environment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Group Policy in 2003 environment?

Hi!

Am looking for a little bit of help here, am looking at trying to use the additional Group Policy features that come with Server 2008 but within a 2003 server environment.

Would it be possible to design a 2008 group policy and then deploy it within Active Directory that resides on a 2003 domain controller?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Re: 2008 Group Policy in 2003 environment?

Yes. You need to use GPMC on a Server 2008 machine.

If you don't have one and you're actually trying to do this for Vista (please be clear when you post questions ) then you need to use RSAT from a Vista machine.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, sorry should have been a little clearer. We have some Win 7 machines on our domain (for testing before rolling out to everyone) so would like to try and utilise the 2008 GPO features for these machines without upgrading to Server 2008 across the estate.

Comment

That'd be 2008 R2 then. 2008 goes with Vista

Use RSAT on a Windows 7 machine then. I'd strongly recommend installing it only on your IT users' machines, rather than machines used by the average user.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X