Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know what is taking RAM on the server

Hi All,

I have a server which has 8gb of ram on the server .... it is a windows server 2008 r2 std OS edition

I got a ticket stating RAM is above 90% -- I checked in the task manager but could not locate what was consuming memory which took it above 90% -- snapshot attached

I even checked RAM MAP but it was same as task manager .. I could not understand which process was taking private memory -- snapshot attached

Can you please assist me on how can I check which process is consuming ram

Thanks
    Vaibhav
    Attached Files

What happens when you reboot the Server?
    What version of SQL are you running? I seem to recall it did have a Memory Leak issue but can't remember stuff all about it now.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

SQL Server will use all available memory, but give it up gracefully on demand - Exchange is the same
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Maybe I am confusing it with the SQL leak in SBS 2003 but there was a fix for that.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for replying

Biggles -- I do not have the permission to reboot the server.

Ossian -- I understand/agree that SQL will use the RAM defined in the settings. However from the task manager it is not clear which application is taking the ram. How can I check which app is consuming ram?

For SQL is can see it is taking like 1.4gb of ram. Task Manager does not show a clear picture of what is consuming ram.

Comment

I do not have the permission to reboot the server.
            Oh, so that's what that power switch does.........
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When task manager doesn't supply me with enough information Process Explorer is usually my next port of call.
              https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896653.aspx
              Or open resource monitor through task manager.
              Last edited by uk_network; 28th May 2015, 10:09.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks uk_network for the info it helps

Comment

have you checked under the "Performance" Tab? Do you have ResourceMonitor.. ?
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X