home folders not accessible after migrating from 2003 to 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home folders not accessible after migrating from 2003 to 2008

had a tech help me migrate from server A 2003 SP2 to server B 2008 RC2. He used robo copy to move the users and folders/files over. this worked just fine when we moved from one 2003 server to another 2003 server.

Problem is with the redirected my documents folder. This time when we went from 2003 to 2008 more than 1/2 of the home folders dropped the user having share access. The tech confirmed that he followed the syntax in the microsoft KB articles. Some came over and some did not.

Once the user was given the correct permission, some of them still couldn't access their my documents until the offline files cache was cleared. I'm not sure why the permissions were changed but I can easily reinstate those. Any idea why only some of them then needed their offline files cache cleared? I work in a school where multiple users use all my computers. I'm not too happy about have to dump the offline files cache.

any information would be appreciated.

thanks,

Re: home folders not accessible after migrating from 2003 to 2008

The cache includes a reference to the original server so will cause errors.

I suggest you stop caching, deal with the permissions issues from the move and then, if you really want to, enable the cache. Since its a LAN you really do not need to (IMHO)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X