New laptop cant find domain controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laptop cant find domain controller

Hi I have been looking after a small office environment which consists of Server with server 2008 R2 and about a dozen pcs/laptops all running Windows 7 Pro and connected using a LAN (they dont have wifi). They just invested in half a dozen new laptops for a new project. I am in the process of adding them to the domain, the first four went without a hitch, however the last two had problems. The process i followed was to set up the laptops, install all the software and updates they needed then joined the domain. On the last two I first noticed that after I did the initial Windows setup the network connection icon in the bottom right had an exclamation mark, when I open network settings it says unidentified network and no internet access. If I try to join the domain I get a 'can't connect to domain controller' message.

Has anyone seen this before? Is the server on its way out?
    Thanks guys
    Kevin

Server is almost certainly fine.

Check:
    Laptop has a proper IP address and not an APIPA (169.254.x.x) address
    Has DC as a DNS server
    Can ping DC by NetBIOS name and FQDN

Also try entering FQDN (domain.com instead of just DOMAIN) when joining to the domain
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for this, I'll try this tomorrow morning. What would explain that I had no problems with the first 4 laptops following exactly the same procedure just minutes before this problem appeared?

Comment

Originally posted by cygnus View Post
        What would explain that I had no problems with the first 4 laptops following exactly the same procedure just minutes before this problem appeared?
        We are talking about Microsoft Operating Systems here...

Could be all sorts of things, so lets get the laptops joined first and work the problem later...
        If you aren't getting IP addresses, check your DHCP scope for spare leases
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK I'll check in the morning when I'm back at their office. If you could give me a checklist of where to start that would be most appreciated

Comment

The first thing to check, as Ossian stated is that the laptops are using a valid IP address. If they have static addresses make sure the address is correct and in the same subnet. If DHCP make sure the address, as Ossian stated, is not an APIPA address. Run ipconfig /all and review the results for the wired adaptor.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I have solved the problem. Aparantly the server was set with a limited ip scope and had maxed out. I increased the scope and the problem went away

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the solution Pleased you got it sorted out.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                X