Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Server 2008 R2 on Vmware

Hi,

Just double checking my suspicions, am I correct in thinking you can run 2 instances of Server 2008 R2 on one machine if the "host" is to be used to run the first instance and the second instance is the guest?

Im looking to virtualise our 2008 R2 server and wasn't sure if it allows me an additional license or not?

Thanks

IIRC it was:
    Standard: 2 Guest instances (but host was not supposed to do anything else except the HyperV role)
    Enterprise: 5 Guests (ditto)
    Datacentre: unlimited guests

Please feel free to correct me on this as it is from vague memories
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not too sure if this is what you mean but from the "Licensing MS Products in a VE" Doc this is what I found
      Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Each software license allows you to run, at any one time, one instance of the server software in an OSE on one server. If the instance you run is in a virtual OSE, you may also run an instance in the physical OSE solely to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or run software to manage and service OSEs on the licensed server. We refer to this in shorthand as 1+1.
      So short answer is 1 to 1

Comment

Your information appears more up to date than mine - I was thinking of Lukes comment on http://windowsitpro.com/virtualizati...ws-server-2008
        check out http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._2008_Virtual_ Tech-VL_Brief-Jan_09.docx It says: If you choose to run all the permitted instances at a time (two under Windows Server 2008 Standard and five under Windows Server 2008 Enterprise license), the instance of the software running in the physical OSE may only be used to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or to run software to manage and service OSEs on the licensed server.
        As usual, the only authoritative answers to Microsoft Licensing questions are:
        1. Direct from Microsoft
        2. In writing
        3. You choose the most favourable of the n+1 totally different options provided by n different people
        Last edited by Ossian; 14th May 2015, 08:52.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As usual, the only authoritative answers to Microsoft Licensing questions are:
          1. You choose the most favourable of the n+1 totally different options provided by n different people
          So true - surely its not that difficult to say you can do this and not that. Rather than having a multitude of different answers depending on what day of the week it is

Comment

Working...
          X